I planned for last year to be my final Otakon. It would be bidding a fond farewell to Baltimore and the summers of college, taking a final chance to go to the aquarium, and just a final coda to my relationship with east coast conventions.
Then I had so much fun seeing my friends and hanging out with interesting people that I said, “Fuck that” and booked a hotel room for next year.
And then. And then! Anime Fest announced that Sayo Yamamoto and Mitsuro Kubo would be guests, and I had sworn to myself years ago that I would hop on a plane to any convention that had Yamamoto as a guest. And it was the weekend after Otakon. So my extended weekend turned into a week and a half.
I’m very excited about these cons, not just because I’ll be seeing friends and visiting the Smithsonian and interviewing guests that I’m so amazed by that I’ll be surprised if I can get a sentence out without it turning into a garbled mess.
None of them are brand new, but they will all have new, spiffed-up content – including VIDEO CLIPS! – plus for some of them I will experience the magic of friendship with copanelists. The biggest overhaul will be my Abuse in Shoujo panel, which will include:
- Spiffed up presentation instead of the ugly Google Slides format
- Discussion of episode 9 of Kiss Him, Not Me
- Video clips where I previously just had screenshots
- Replacing images of illegal scans with my own images from legal releases
- A segment about talking about media literacy with young adults
In order to keep improving these panels, I’d love to see some feedback from all y’all! Including:
- Are there any series I should try to incorporate? Any I should specifically remove or avoid?
- Should I include video clips of the assaults for Abuse in Shoujo, or does that run the risk of being too triggering?
- What points carry especially well, and which ones did I fuck up?
- Will you be attending?